Department of Genetics and Molecular Biotechnology
The Department has one of the best equipped genetic labs at European level for marine genetic studies with state-of-the-art apparatuses, which include:
- Next generation genome sequencer FLX (454, Roche)
- ABI 3730xl automated sequencer
- Dual OpenArray Real Time PCR Platform (Applied Biosystems) for SNP genotyping and gene expression
- 2 Real Time thermal cyclers (PCR machines), (DNA Engine Opticon ΙΙ and 1 Light Cycler 1.5)
- 10 thermal cyclers (PCR machines), (MJ Research, BIORAD, ABI)
- Microarray scanner GenePix 4100
- Robotic sample manipulator BIOMEK 2000 (Beckman)
- Photometers (QuantiFluor™-ST, Nanodrop 1000 and other)
- Agilent 2100 Bioanalyzer
- Coulter counter (Beckman) for counting particles and cells
- Laminar flow cabinet (Telstar Bio-IIa)
- Computer Cluster for genome sequencer FLX (GS FLX Titanium Cluster)
- Gel electrophoresis apparatuses
- Gel documentation system
- Standard laboratory equipment like centrifuges, autoclaves, speed-vac, deep freezers, ovens, pHmeters etc.
Department of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management
The laboratories of the Department of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management are equipped with facilities for the processing of biological and sedimentological material. The sorting, biomass and abundance measurements and identification of species are carried out with the aid of stereoscopes, light microscopes (with still and video facilities), precision balances and a rich literature containing taxonomic books and papers.
For the processing of the sedimentological material facilities include a mechanical sieve shaker, a large water bath for pipette analysis, while incinerators and ovens are also available.
The Marine Biology laboratories are also equipped with the proper facilities for underwater still and video images (underwater still cameras with a variety of lenses and lighting system, underwater housing, etc).
The Bioinformatics and Biodiversity Informatics Unit
The Bioinformatics and Biodiversity Informatics Unit has two computer clusters for parallel computing, of 40 and 96 cpus each (136 cpus in total). The unit includes storage space and can be extended both for computing power and storage capacity. The two clusters have the following characteristics:
Cluster I: 40 cores Xeon at 3Gh, 96 GB RAM, 3 TB storage, 1 Gbps ethernet interconnection
Cluster II: 96 cores Xeon at 3.4 Ghz, 408 GB RAM, 15 TB RAID 10 SAN storage, 10 Gbps interconnection
The Environmental Chemistry laboratory
The Environmental Chemistry laboratory is fully equipped to carry out measurements of organic carbon, chlorophyllous pigments, ATP and nutrients, using up-to-date instrumentation such as fluorometer, biocounter spectrophotometer, CHN analyser and a 5-channel nutrients analyser. It is also specially designed to investigate marine pollution and environmental problems with the sensitive equipment needed for the accurate measuring of heavy metals, pesticides and hydrocarbons, including an atomic absorption spectrophotometer, a high pressure liquid chromatograph and a gas chromatograph.
The Microbiological laboratory
The Microbiology Laboratory is equipped to a very high standard to undertake the analysis of marine waters, in particular those water samples taken under the regular monitoring programme for the Cretan coast - an obligatory part of the EC Bathing Waters Directive. The laboratory has all the necessary equipment (plating, incubation, sterilizing) for carrying out specific analyses and identification of all anthropogenic pathogenic bacteria, and in particular, coliform, faecal coliform, and streptococci strains.